- Click here to read errata and changes that directly affect the book.
Android App Updates
To get the latest information on common Android apps, get my eBook Dan Gookin's Android Apps A to Z, available at the Amazon Kindle store.
Click to view and buy at Amazon
This book covers the apps Chrome, Gmail, Hangouts, Maps, Play Books, Play Music, Play Store, YouTube, and more.
- Google Voice Voicemail
- If you're using Google Voice as your Voicemail, be aware that using *72 on Verizon to forward your phone's incoming calls messes up Google Voice. (Well, at least it does on my phone.) You'll need to re-establish Google Voice on your phone: Follow the directions on the Voicemail setup screen: From the Settings app, choose Call Settings, Voicemail Settings, Voicemail Number.
- Be Careful of Your Carrying Case / Holster!
- Got an email from a reader who used a holster carrying case for his Android phone. The case had a magnetic clip, which apparently zapped the touchscreen. Restarting the phone fixed the problem, but I would be leery of any carrying case or holster that uses a magnetic clip.
- How to Dial Your New Rotary Phone
- Here is a classic how-to film from the last century. At once time, dial phones were a new concept as well. This type of film would have been shown in classrooms as well as before motion pictures. It would not have been on TV or the Internet, as they didn't yet exist. View the YouTube video.
Updates for the Android operating system, including lots of good information on using an Android phone, can be found on my blog. Here are some relevant posts:
- Avoid Data Limits and Spying Apps with GlassWire
- Mar 27, 2017 This free app is beautiful, ad-free, and very helpful. Link
- Opt Out of Android Advertising
- Mar 16, 2017 How to disable tracking and advertising features on your Android device. Link
- Another Keyboard to Lust For
- Feb 16, 2017 My sleepy eyes popped wide when I first beheld the QWERKYWRITER. Link
- Android Nougat Changes in the Settings App
- Feb 14, 2017 Some things changed. Other things added. Everything's crazy. Link
- More Weird Moves by Samsung
- Dec 22, 2016 The future may bode missing Home buttons and headphone jacks from Samsung gizmos. Link
- Stop Correcting My Text!
- Dec 15, 2016 I think that an Android's auto-correct feature is a source for great humor, but some people would rather have it disabled. Link
- Don't Take Stupid Selfies
- Nov 29, 2016 Here's a tip to avoid the telltale sign that you're the only one in the room taking a picture of yoruself. Link
- Update an Android Contact with a Phone Number Extension
- Nov 17, 2016 The phone entry field in the Contacts app lacks a place for an extension. Or does it? Link
For additional Android-related blog posts, click here.